One of our older boys , Jacob, was involved in a very odd accident when a vehicle in attempting to avoid a car in front of them struck a group of students on the sidewalk as they were leaving after spending some time standing up for life. I have observed many things since then, among them:
- Jacob has built the Mystical Body of Christ through his suffering.
- The remorse of the man in error has been noted by many, even Jacob’s mom.
- Deb, Jacob’s mom is also witnessing to grace received. When asked what it was like getting that call, Deb who was out of town at the time, commented that her husband, Wayne, was close by and what a blessing that was. (She didn’t get stuck on being out of town, I think I would have.)
- Jacob’s joy in the midst of the cross has been beautiful. His mood at the hospital has been so good.
- A few days into the hospital stay Deb arrived for a visit. Can you imagine a mother’s pain upon arriving and hearing your son in the next room getting the packing removed from the wound? He doesn’t know you are there, but you can hear him in a whole lot of pain. Deb didn’t dwell on the trauma of hearing that, but was only concerned about her son. I couldn’t get past that detail in my own mind, I’m not sure who experienced more pain from that scene, Jacob or Deb. Deb must understand Our Blessed Mother a bit more after that experience.
- Staying upbeat when you have three chipped vertebrae and a severe wound, builds not only the Mystical Body, it also sets a great example for those around you. Thanks, Jacob.
- The students and staff here have been visiting Jacob, and inquiring about him. Visiting the sick is a corporal work of mercy. Keep it up, 8th graders!
- The children have gladly joined together in prayer for Jacob, and he and his family can feel the benefits.
- Jacob and his family have been grateful for the prayers and works of mercy.
- Father Townsend has been to visit a few times and brings back a good report. That’s our pastor!
I just got off the phone with Deb, Jacob is headed home, and very soon this afternoon it looks like!
Lord, help Jacob continue to heal well, bless him and his family, and bring good from this accident as only You can. (Deb thanks for permission to print this.)
With Love and Prayers,